HERE FOR DIRECTIONS TO PARK.
County Stadium was built in the early 1900’s during the days of the
Atlantic Coast Lumber Company. In
the following years, it was used as a football and baseball facility.
In the late 1940’s, the Georgetown Athletics sponsored by the
Loyal Motor Company began play in the stadium which was surrounded by the
original tin fence. The
Athletics were members of the semi-pro Palmetto League.
During the 1950’s, the Palmetto League was a main attraction in
During that time period, International Paper Company financed the
refurbishing of the Stadium. The
tin fence was replaced by the concrete wall which is still standing today.
A huge scoreboard was also installed in left field at this time
also. The Palmetto League
ceased to exist in the late 1950’s, but high school baseball continued
to be played at the stadium.
1962, the facility was converted into a football stadium only.
The large stands behind the present day outfield fence were built
and light poles stood in the present day infield.
The Winyah Gators played the inaugural game in the stadium against
, and the Bishop England running back ran the opening kick-off back for a
touchdown. Eventually, the
facility was adapted so that baseball could once again be played at the
Stadium. The Stadium continued
to be home to Winyah and
’ football and baseball teams until the two schools consolidated in
1982. The facility then became
home to Georgetown High’s football and baseball teams.
In 1988, a football stadium was built behind
, and the Stadium was once again a baseball stadium only.
In 1989, the City of
passed a resolution to rename the Stadium,
to recognize Coach Mike Johnson for his personal dedication and efforts
into rebuilding the stadium into one of the state’s finest.
International Paper Company also financed a project in which a
replica of the original scoreboard in left field was built.
While the newer scoreboard contains lights and a Bulldog with an
automated head, its authenticity is maintained by having numbers hung by
hand for the inning by inning scores.
began hosting the International Paper Baseball Classic which is considered
one of the top three high school baseball tournaments in the nation.
Each year, improvements
are made to the ballpark making it one of the best high school fields in
the nation. Prior to the 1998
season, a covered, lighted batting cage was built on the third base side,
a players’ locker room was added to the third base dugout, and
additional restrooms were built on the first base side.
In 2000, the concrete outfield fence was torn down.
The fence was pushed further back and replaced by a ten foot chain
link fence which was covered with green wind screen.
In 2001, an larger, more modern press box replaced on old one behind home
plate. To accommodate the new
press box, the main gate was moved between the restrooms and bleachers on
the third base line. In
addition, new stands were built where the old gate, thus, was increasing
the seating by approximately forty seats.
Also, signs were placed on the outfield fence to recognize the
accomplishments of former Bulldog players and teams.
The 2002 season brought more significant changes to
The older wooden stands were replaced by chair seats behind home
plate and down the first and third base lines, and the backstop was
replaced with netting. Prior
to the 2003 season, new lights were installed.
The 2008 season brings renovations to the home locker room, the
restrooms, and batting cage area as well as creating an entrance on the
first base side. The ballpark
also has created a wireless network for the convenience of the fans.